I hear that a lot these days. I’ve said it myself.
I’m catching myself more when I’m about to say it and I stop myself, because I believe being constantly busy is a choice.
I believe we make time for people and activities that are important to us.
Making time for yourself is important too. It helps to keep you grounded amidst busy times.
When was the last time you did something just for YOU?
Here’s five simple ways to treat yourself today:
- Quench your thirst. Make your favourite cup of tea and find a quiet spot to drink it with no distractions. Put away your computer and phone and enjoy 15 minutes (or more) to just BE. Taking a break from the bustle allows you to recharge and reset.
- Get outside. Take a walk, go for a run, sit in a park – do whatever activity you enjoy outside to get some fresh air. Even if it’s cold and raining (like it is at this time of year in Vancouver), I enjoy a beach walk because there are very few people there.
- Appreciate what you have. Take a few minutes and think of five people or things around you that you appreciate. Cultivating a mindset of gratitude and appreciation is a great pick-me-up.
- Laugh. Call up a friend, watch a funny movie, laugh at something silly that you have done! There are hundreds of ways to bring more laughter into your life. Laughter decreases stress hormones and releases endorphins; those feel-good chemicals.
- Take a rest. Take a nap or go to bed one hour earlier than usual. Give your body extra time to replenish and rest, so you are ready for another day.